Monday, November 25, 2013

Google Doodle Riddle -Post by Eli Sokhn, Film Director, Hollywood

Special post by @Elication on the occasion of Thoughts & About's 2-year anniversary 


A few days ago, on the Lebanese Independence Day, a friend of mine posted a screenshot of his Google homepage on his Facebook. It contained a picture of Beirut’s pigeon’s rock. A very famous landmark in Lebanon that some people and tourists visit. So I logged in to my Google account and of course living in LA this doodle has no slight chances in showing. Just another smart marketing tool from Google, a gesture to show that they care, they think, they know. or do they?

First of, the only colors that this doodle had in common with the Lebanese independence are the colors of the French flag. As you can see above, blue white and red but that might just be a coincidence.

Second of all, this rock to me and to many others represents suicide and death. It’s been used by some people as a base to jump off of to end their lives.

I know that Google knows almost everything but I didn’t know Google also foresaw the future. This rock does not represent an independent Lebanon, it does not represent a Lebanon that stood steep against all odds throughout history. Eminent, as we like to describe our towering Cedar tree on our Lebanese flag which by the way is the symbol to Lebanon’s independence and sovereignty. This Rock represents a Lebanon committing suicide. Dying. And that might be true. Again, another Google coincidence.

Living outside Lebanon, and seeing this made me question my identity, once again. Just like the hundreds of my friends who left Lebanon in the last decade whether for education, the fear of dying randomly and for no reason, or maybe just because their ambition is a little bigger than what this country has to offer. And no I am not going to ask what we can do for our country. We’ve already spilled tons and tons of blood. Brothers and friends sacrificed, families divided, homes wrecked and businesses destroyed for this little piece of land. Now I want to ask what has this country done for me? A lot of things actually. Yes, just not the things that sound like healthcare, affordable quality education, social security and simply a dignified living. More so things that sound like “live each day as if it was your last” because chances are big, it might be your last. It’s funny I am writing this in LA, and it is going to be published in Dubai. Legally identifying with Lebanon has made it much harder for me to commute everywhere around the world. I have been stopped at airports, flights delayed and visas revoked. Fortunately now things are changing and I am slightly losing grip on my Lebanese passport to hold another. Another that makes me feel I am. It makes me feel I belong. And there’s a very thin fine line between living somewhere and belonging to somewhere.

I think It’s time for me to think about this brief segment of time that I get to spend on earth. It’s time to rethink priorities, borders, nationalism and identity. And I am hopeful for tomorrow, because a couple decades ago those notions of individuality, freedom and liberty were not even possible ideas yet. It’s time to think as one before those borders put up to protect us end up imprisoning us.

And finally to solve our Google doodle riddle I sent Google a Lebanese flag hoping next year we don't get an exploding car instead of this suicide pigeon rock.


No comments:

Post a Comment